Ok, so my friend asked what I thought was the best baby shower gift, and I wanted to come up with something cute and artsy (but functional), or something profound, but I knew instantly what I would suggest and here it is:
Ok, so you’re thinking – really? A backpack? That’s the words of wisdom I get? Yes……
So many new moms get all caught up in getting a cute diaper bag. And I have to agree – some of them are super-cute. But here are the reasons why we started using a backpack over seven years ago, and why we still carry it to this day. I initially purchased the backpack as a baby-shower gift to my husband. I knew he wouldn’t be caught dead with fluorescent polka-dots all over an over-sized bag with brown shoulder straps. Little did I know how this would revolutionize my thinking. Initially I had the diaper bag for me, and “his backpack”. It took just a few trips for me to adopt his backpack, and my cutsey-bag to be shoved to the back of the closet. Why? Well, here is my top ten reasons to give a backpack as a baby shower gift (or top ten on why you should use one in your family):
10. There a a number of pockets accessible from the OUTSIDE of the bag. This is very helpful when looking for things, and keeping items separated. Choose a backpack with at least two dividers for the large center section, with numerous sipper pockets on the outside.
9. There are usually two mesh fabric drink holders – one on each side of the backpack. Early on, you can use one for a bottle or sippy-cup, and one for a water bottle for the mum. Once you get close to a half-dozen kiddos, it’s anyone’s guess what might inhabit those “breathable pockets”.
8. Most diaper changing stations have a little hook on the side of the changing table. WIth a conventional diaper bag, you hang it from the hook, and your bag is still nearly on the floor. With a backpack, you have a handy u-shaped strap between the two back straps that keeps everything up higher next to the table – no digging in a bag on the floor while trying to steady a baby on one of those things! Bonus: You are much less likely to leave your container of wipes sitting on top of the changing table. (Notice I said “less” likely…. 🙂
7. Your bag makes you able to go “hands-free”. No leaning one-way or another like many shoulder-strap bags have you doing to balance the weight and keep it on your shoulder. A backpack stays put.
6. A backpack is more comfortable. Since they are designed to carry weight, the straps are usually semi-padded. This becomes important since a growing family means a heavier and heavier diaper bag.
5. A backpack can easily strap on the back of most chairs. No need to set your bag on the ground – just slip the shoulder straps over the back of a chair.
4. The double-straps allow you to slip them easily over the handles of an umbrella stroller to have an immediate “storage system” without shoving a bag into a storage compartment and having to pull it out again. It is right there, facing you without having to drag out or re-organize anything! Extra bonus – the side pouches for drink cups are still functioning!
3. There are some really cute backpacks out there – ones that even the guys would think was relatively cool! And from an economical standpoint, the backpack is still great for family outings once your children get older, whereas a diaper bag with a five-year-old is questionable….. 🙂
2. A single-strap bag might slip off of your shoulder, and knock into your baby or toddler when you try to pick them up, or someone else’s kid (not that something like that has ever happened to me……). A backpack (worn properly) doesn’t do that. 🙂
And the #1 reason for giving it as a baby shower gift……..
1. You can bet no one else will…… 🙂